BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN
# 582, D.B.Road,
Coimbatore - 641002
Phone Numbers: 0422-2542481; 2556351
email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Coimbatore Kendra was founded in the year 1964 by Late Shri G.K.Sundaram, Chairman, Lakshmi Mills Company Ltd., for promoting art, culture, literature, and moral and ethical values in the industrial city. Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar has been the Chairman of the Kendra since 1990. Under his tutelage, the Kendra has further blossomed carrying out a number of activities and programmes.
- The Faculty of Fine Arts was inaugurated in the year 1996 with a three year Diploma Course covering classes in Carnatic Vocal Music, Veena, Mridangam and Bharatnatyam.
Special lectures by spiritual leaders and concerts in music and dance are organized periodically.
- The Rajaji Endowment Lecture stated in 1980, in honour of the great statesman, Shri C.Rajagopalachari is organized annually and eminent scholars are invited to speak on social issues of current relevance.
- The Bhavan's Cultural Centre started in the year 2004, promotes the cultural heritage of India through regular classes on religious texts.
- The Thinkers' Forum started in the year 2005, organizes guest-lectures every month. Experts from different walks of life are invited to speak on a wide range of topics.
- The Tamil Mamani Award instituted in the year 2010 honours well known Tamil Scholars every year. Besides this the Tamilpani Semmal Award instituted in the year 2015, recognizes and awards Tamil Scholars for their contribution to the Tamil Language.
- The Kulapathi Munshi Award instituted in the year 1992 is awarded every year to outstanding persons in the city who have contributed to the welfare of the society.
- The five day Pongal Music Festival is conducted annually in which famous musicians render their concerts. On the inaugural day a senior musician is awarded the title Sangeetha Samrat. The Kovai Subri Muruga Gana Award instituted by Shri S.Krishnamurthy in memory of his father, K.Subramaniam (Kovai Subri), a great freedom fighter, is also awarded every year to honour and recognize a popular, senior Vidwan in the City.
- In order to provide an opportunity to the budding artists of the present day, a three day Dance Festival is organized every year, since its inauguration in 1999. The title, Nritya Ratna is conferred on an eminent artist for his/her outstanding contribution to classical dance.
- The Department of Human Excellence which has been formed with the help of a twenty member expert committee submitted a report on 'Human Excellence' as the ultimate goal of education. This view has been widely appreciated and accepted among academic circles and this concept has been made an integral part of our school curriculum.
- Bhavan's Schools: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore Kendra started its first school in the year 1980. In the formative years Dr. J.Thuljaram Rao, the then Vice-Chairman of the Kendra carefully nourished the school with his untiring efforts and built it into an institution of Excellence. With the growing demand for admissions the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Matriculation School was started at Ajjanur in the year 2007 in a 6.75 acre campus, by the Chairman, Shri B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
The schools firmly believe that the educational process should be firmly rooted in the country's tradition and culture. In addition to this they also believe in inculcating values and grooming the students into worthy citizens. Equal importance is given to Academic Excellence and Human Excellence so that they emerge as balanced individuals without losing their inner poise.
The Kendra has just started a CBSE School at Ajjanur campus near Vadavalli. A unique feature of Bhavan's Schools is inculcating Indian values while offering contemporary education. Children are offered a wide opportunity to explore and learn. The school has classes from Pre-KG up to grade VI. The school will be developed into a full-fledged Senior Secondary School of Excellence.
All the schools put together has a strength of around 4000 pupils.
- Vivekananda Study Centre: To commemorate the 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda and to take his vision to the younger generation, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan launched its dream project on 11th July 2012, by inaugurating more than 175 Centres in schools and colleges in and around Coimbatore. Swami Virabadranandaji formally inaugurated the Vivekananda Study Centre for the Bhavan's School at R.S.Puram. The same year the Vivekananda Study Centre at Bhavan's Ajjanur School was inaugurated by our Chairman Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
- Unveiling of Gandhi Statue: The life size statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled on 2nd October 2012 by Smt. Minoti Aram, President, Shanthi Ashram, Kovaipudur at Ajjanur Matric. Hr. Sec. School.
- Unveiling the Statue of Swami Vivekananda: In commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda a life size statue of the Swamiji was unveiled on 7th January 2014 at R.S.Puram School. Another life size statue of Swami Vivekananda is unveiled at Ajjanur premises also.
- Commemoration of the 1000th birth anniversary of Shri Ramanujacharya - Honoured 17 Vaishnavites by conferring the title 'Shri Ramanuja Perum Thondan' - June 8th, 2016.
- Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BharatiyaVidyaBhavanCoimbatoreKendra
NEWS & EVENTS
A health awareness programme was conducted on August 19, 2023 by the PG students of community medicine from PSG Institute of Medical Science & Research Health Care, Coimbatore for the students of grade VIII. They were briefed about personal hygiene, hormonal changes and the need to exercise, healthy eating and proper sleep. A separate session was conducted for girls regarding menstrual hygiene. Boys were addressed regarding addiction, drug abuse and gender discrimination. In general, they were asked to reduce screen time for a healthy life.
On August 5, 2023, an Orientation programme was conducted on the topic, ‘Preparing young minds for global excellence’. In his speech, the resource person Dr. N. Balu told the students to rethink their personalities and the ways in which they would have to change to survive and succeed in the future. He also listed five points to achieve global excellence: vision, expressing originality, not carrying heavy luggage, transforming others and scripting their own story.
Sports Meet – West Zone
The sports meet for the West Zone was conducted at Bharathiar University, Coimbatore from August 17-31, 2023. The students from the school band performed in the inauguration ceremony to welcome the chief guest.
Nirmitha of Class 9 had the honour of anchoring the Olympic torch. It was a recognition for her achievements in the sports field:
1. District and Zonal winner in Hockey
2. Represented the State in Hockey
Onam was celebrated in splendid fashion on the campus of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan MHSS, Ajjanur on August 28, 2023. The students gave speeches in English and Tamil and sang songs in Malayalam to glorify the occasion. Art forms of Kerala—Mohiniyattam, Kaikottikali, Thumbithullal—and folk dances added grandeur to the programme. Chendamelam, Pulikkali, Vallamkali (boat race) and a skit on the significance of Onam created enthusiasm among the audience. The students participated eagerly in the flower carpet competition making the whole campus colourful.
Music Trinity and Purandaradasa Aradhana Celebrations
The Music Trinity and Purandaradasa Aradhana function was celebrated by the Bhavan’s Coimbatore Kendra on July 29, 2023 with a grand concert by the well-known flautist, Sikkil Smt. Mala Chandrasekhar. Hailing from an illustrious lineage of musicians, Mala Chandrasekhar is the torchbearer of the Sikkil Bani which is distinguished by the lyrical style of playing the flute. Smt. Mala Chandrasekhar has gained a wide repertoire and she paid a fitting tribute to all the four great Vaggeyakaras of Carnatic Music by rendering some of their finest compositions. The pitch-perfect and sweet tonal quality of the flute in Mala’s hands together with the harmonious support from the accompanists made the performance a musical treat.
The Music Trinity and Purandaradasar Aradhana was conducted with the combined endowments made in memory of Smt. S. A. Kaveriammal and Smt. Sowdamini Rajan, Shri J. Sakharam Rao, Drs. AVR Moorthi-Meera, Smt. P. V. Pattammal and Shri N. S. Ramachandran.